Bailey Mackey is a former news reporter on Te Karere and 3 News, who is now producing and directing commercial Māori series through his own production company. He is the main creative force behind controversial show The GC, and reality series The Life and Times of Temuera Morrison.
In this ScreenTalk, Mackey talks about:
- The shock of going from iwi radio to TVNZ show Te Karere
- The challenge of working on 3 News
- How the show Code brought sports talk to Māori Television
- The origin of famous phrase 'Mean Māori Mean'
- Feeling very proud of rugby series Beneath the Maori Moon
- Wanting to show a different side of Māori life in The GC
- His thoughts on the controversy surrounding the show
- Pitching the idea of The Life and Times of Temuera Morrison
- Getting the right mix of drama, vulnerability and humour on the show
This video is available on YouTube to embed and distribute via a Creative Commons licence.
Interview, Camera and Editing – Andrew Whiteside